Sunday, November 30, 2008

How Could I Ask for More?

Have you experienced those moments in life where you look around and think to yourself, "I am so incredibly and richly blessed by God. How is it that I ever complain about anything? Ultimately I am a lowly sinner who deserves only death and yet, on top of the already unfathomable gift of Jesus Christ, look at all that God has chosen to provide for me!" Unfortunately, this moment of clarity which came to me on Thanksgiving day, always seems to be fleeting. As soon as the inevitable trials and struggles appear, someone beautiful walks by, another wonderful person gets married and leaves my shrinking circle of single friends, or I fail an exam, I revert back to my attitude of self-pity and self-entitlement. As my mother used to say (much to the embarrassment of my sisters and I:o), I use the "f word." In our house, that referred to the word fair. I feel I deserve better than I have, and rather than embracing the all-sufficiency of Christ, I whine and snivel about everything I wish I had. Ridiculous! Yet even today, 3 days after Thanksgiving, I found myself complaining to my aunt and uncle about how difficult finals/studying were going to be this week. Then I laughed out loud, took some time to thank the Lord for the conviction of the Holy Spirit and His unlimited forgiveness toward me, typed out this blog, and am headed to study for finals with a (at least somewhat more) joyful attitude and a heart prepared for a few more days of hard work.

Speaking of rich blessings, check out this incredible gift my family gave me at Thanksgiving. I'm not sure if you can read the bag, but on the front it says "Fun with Finals!" On the other side of the bag they put a verse, Isaiah 40:30-31, which says, "Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength." And of course, at the bottom of the back it says, "Save the world - one blood pressure at a time!" I felt so special as a result of their thoughtfulness, and definitely more prepared for finals!:)

After going out for lunch on Saturday we had a quick photo shoot in an attempt to capture our yearly Christmas picture.

What a great looking group of kids!

I voted for this one...but I think I was outnumbered.:o)

While the committee deliberated...

Kate and I had fun with the camera.:)


No comments: