Hershey's Chocolatetown Special Cake
- 1/2 cup Hershey's Cocoa
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup shortening (I used margarine)
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk or sour milk*
Directions:1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
(I used a 9x13 pan and it turned out just fine. I baked it for about the same amount of time too.)
2. Stir together cocoa and water in small bowl until smooth. Beat shortening, sugar and vanilla in large bowl until fluffy. Add eggs; beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; add to shortening mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating until well blended. Add cocoa mixture; beat well. Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely: frost. 8 to 10 servings.