Saturday, October 4, 2008

The First 12 Hours

I have quite a bit to accomplish before I head for bed tonight, but I really wanted to do a quick post on my first day at UCLA since I know several of you have been praying earnestly for me. It was AMAZING! Truly, I was able to see God's graciousness and goodness toward me all day long. I learned more than I could ever have imagined could be learned in one shift, and was able to retain a good portion of it. The twelve hours honestly flew by, and in spite of the concern I had about the length ahead of time, I couldn't believe it was over when 7pm came around. Yet another reminder that worry is sin, and I can absolutely do without it.:o) My preceptor was a terrific CNA, and she was incredibly patient with me. Speaking of patient, I had several really great patients who were also very understanding. A couple of them actually found out that it was my first day toward the end of my shift, and said they were really surprised as I'd done a wonderful job and had seemed to know what was going on. Praise God! Next Monday I am orienting in Pediatric unit, which I am SOOOO excited about. I have been looking forward to spending time in a Peds unit since before I started college, so I am thrilled to be going there in a few days. I could use your prayers for this next week, as I anticipate a few sleepless nights between working 24 hours and having some tests and clinicals. I spent some time in prayer today, and was reminded that God can work in and through me for His glory despite my fleshly complaints of exhaustion or being overwhelmed. I know He will carry me through this next week if I go to Him as my source of strength. Speaking of which, I was really wanting to find a verse that I could go to this week when I was feeling like curling up in a ball somewhere, and I stumbled across Colossians 1:9-12. It says, "For this reason also, since the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so that you will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience; joyously giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in Light." This verse is packed full of so many wonderful reminders, but I was especially encouraged by Paul's reminder to the Colossians that he is praying that they will do all of this "according to His glorious might." Praise God that we can accomplish all He has ordained for us to do through His power. Well I'm off to do some reading and studying. Thank you all so very much for your prayers and encouragement!

A picture of my UCLA uniform on my first day of work.

As you can see my scrub top says "UCLA Health System Care Partner." (Don't I look so excited to have woken up before 5am?:o)

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yay, you look so official! :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Bex, very official! I can't wait to hear how this week went for you! Praying for you :)