Monday, March 24, 2008

New Beginnings

Today was my first day of nursing school. I woke up at 5:30 am, took a shower, got ready, packed my lunch, loaded up the car, and was out the door at 7 am. I took three surface streets to the 118 East, to the 210 East, to the 2 South, to the 5 South, to the 10 East and arrived at my destination. It took me about an hour to get there, which left me two hours before my class. I purchased a one hour parking pass, parked my car, stood in line to pick up my quarterly parking permit, found out where to get my student ID, set up my student online account, went to the bookstore to purchase my nursing handbook, paid for my lab fee and liability insurance at the cashier's office, took the receipts of payment to the nursing office, was sent to another office, and had 15 minutes to spare before starting my class. I really enjoyed my first nursing class, and the professor was great. I think I'm definitely going to enjoy that one. I then had a three hour break between classes, so I went to my car to eat my lunch and then headed off campus to a nearby bookstore. I was able to buy most of my books there, and then I headed back to campus and purchased two books at the on-campus bookstore. There is only one more book I will have to purchase later because it wasn't in stock, and then I will be done shopping for them and can officially file bankruptcy.:o) Basically the cashier had to wrestle my debit card from my hand while I hyperventilated into a paper bag. Then I went to my 4-6 pm class, and discovered that it is mostly web based, meaning there are very few class times when I will actually have to be on campus. Hooray! Finally I lugged all of my books and myself to my car, got on the 10 North, to the 5 North, to the 2 North, to the 210 West (which was slowed because of an accident), to the 118 West, and took three surface streets to return to my aunt and uncle's house. I pulled into the driveway and thought, "One day down, only two and a half years to go.":o) Now I realize why they recommend taking baby steps and setting short-term goals. There is definitely great wisdom in that... It actually ended up being a very productive day, and now I have tomorrow and the next day off to recover. I look forward to all of the adventures God has in store for my over those next two and half years, and am determined to do more than survive it. Now remind me I said that during finals week.:o)
Here is a picture of the bookstore that took all of my money. I'm using it as a dartboard in my room.

Here is a picture of Cal State, Los Angeles. The campus is toward the front and the Los Angeles skyline is in the background.

No comments: