Saturday, April 10, 2010

Traffic and Sunsets


Two weeks ago I came to the realization that I may have lived in Los Angeles too long.  I had gotten off of work at 4:30 pm (rather than my usual 7:00 pm), and found that the freeway was not moving.  Not even a little.  In fact it took me a good 30 minutes just to get to the on ramp, which is only a few blocks from the hospital.  As I took in the brake lights and smog, and simultaneously began to feel my left leg complaining from the constant in and out of the clutch, I decided I couldn't take it any more.  I simply couldn't fathom sitting on the freeway for another 90 minutes.  So, I instead made a spontaneous trip to the beach.  It's really not that far from where I work to the beach.  One hospital I work at is within walking distance (and I so enjoy walking there on my lunch break!), but even the other one is much less than 90 minutes from the ocean.  So I quickly put on my left turn indicator and eased back into the traffic which was actually moving.  As a result of my spontaneity, I had the incredible opportunity of sitting on the boardwalk and feeling the ocean breeze on my face while I read a book I've been wanting to read for a while.  And as the sun began to set over the ocean I sat there completely in awe of God and His creation, and the words to the wonderful hymn "How Great Thou Art" came to mind.

 O Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the works Thy hands have made,

I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder, 

Thy pow'r thru-out the universe displayed!

Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee:
How great Thou art, how great Thou art! 

Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee:
 How great Thou art, how great Thou art!


So, did this:



beat this?


I think so, but maybe I've just been living in Los Angeles too long...;o)

No comments: